Friday 17 June 2011

Friday 17th June

Yay! got to sleep into 6:30am today that was great. I am the only Obroni here at the moment haha. I am heading to Cape Coast with other volunteers today for 2 nights, it will be fun and great to catch up with the others. My friend Louise has changed Host family and is coming to my town and the orphanage I work at. I have to call my host mum when i arrive she is so lovely. Got a bit lost the other day getting home it was frustrating but my host mum called to see where i was ans she directed the cab. I now know exactly how to get to Orphanage and home I walk from my place to markets then catch a taxi to Aboso which is like 10 min cost 40 pescis (not much) then i do the opposite coming home, easy as now thank goodness. Everyone I have met are so lovely sometimes they joke around and say Obroni give me that you just smile and giggle then they laugh. I'm starting to really adapt wow more and more to the food Mamma Joyce is not feeding me such big meals yay! Yesterday was difficult very frustrating, two of the kids have come down with malaria fevers very high Gifty and Prince. It;s just frustrating cause its so different to what I am used to I kept saying they need to go to Hospital they did end up getting the medicine which is really good. The men at the Orphanage are very tough and strict but there is going to be a lady working there soon. Really loving it over here the children are gorgeous some little babies are scared of me cause they have never seen a white person before SO cute.  I want to adopt kids from the orphanage mostly Francis he is so cute it's so sad, but they are very much loved by the workers at the Orphanage  :-) Its raining heaps at the moment, its beautiful

3 comments:

  1. Bec. Great to read your posts. We are really pleased that you are adapting and also that you are able to get some time to catch up with the other volunteers. Love Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bec. We have had to cope with some new technology to keep in communication, reluctantly including facebook! A bit if a culture shock for us - well a really small one compared to yours. And now we have mastered the blog! Are you getting our text messages as well? Alisdair is coming to stay for the weekend, as an ex-African resident he will be really keen to hear how you are going. Missing you, Love Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky...miss you lots. it is so good to hear you're starting to adapt to things. it must be difficult to see the kids sick, but you're coping so well with everything. I hope you have a great time at Cape Coast with your friends. It's also great that you have found someone that you can talk to and who you relate to well, i think that will help a lot with how you cope.

    I would probably want to adopt the kids too. And I'm giggling at your comment about the babies being scared of you...very cute.

    Been good to be able to catch up with you over the phone and love reading your blogs.

    Love you lots talk again soon
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete